All cooperative businesses adhere to these seven guiding principles:
- Voluntary and Open Membership
- Democratic Member Control
- Members' Economic Participation
- Autonomy and Independence
- Education, Training, and Information
- Cooperation Among Cooperatives
- Concern for Community
In addition, all electric cooperatives are:
- private independent electric utility businesses,
- owned by the customers they serve,
- incorporated under the laws of the states in which they operate,
- established to provide at-cost electric service,
- governed by a board of directors elected from the membership, which sets policies and procedures that are implemented by the cooperatives' professional staff.
Distribution cooperatives deliver electricity to the consumer. Generation and transmission cooperatives (G&Ts) generate or acquire and transmit electricity to distribution co-ops. PNGC Power is a G&T cooperative. For more information, please check this link.